Saturday, September 03, 2005

Sleep Under the sea.

I finally built up the courage to make the dive. My brother was teasing me about that for months now, and I finally got fed up with it.

“Jimmy, Jimmy, you’re too scared! Aww is the little baby afraid to jump from an itsy bitsy rock?”

Why do older siblings think that they’re creative? Or even intelligent? All they get is age, which in fact means that they’ll die sooner. So I’m still winning either way.

I want to tell him that he’ll grow up to be a nobody, who will try to scrounge off of me for the rest of his life, but I’m kind enough to let the issue rest. (I’m sure he knows, and appreciates my generosity…not really)

Hawaiian summer day, which isn’t saying much actually. It’s humid, the sun is out, and there is a giant rock in the ocean that my brother dives off of everyday. At fifteen feet high it’s much more intimidating from the top than when you’re laying on the beach. The shallow water isn’t inviting either.

Today is my day. I told him I’d do it today. I can’t go back on my word now.

That bike ride there was long. It was only two minutes, but it lasted eternity, yet still it wasn’t long enough.

I get in the warm ocean water, and start climbing the rock.
The mocking of my brother isn’t helping right now.
I get to the top. My lungs are collapsing after that steep climb.
Did I mention that I have an eating disorder?...yea.

I look down.
Poop Squat. I’m doing it.
Forget him, forget this damn rock. I don’t care anymore. I'm doing it for myself.

I run and forcefully push against the ground. My foot is caught. No, it can’t be.
I look down.
There is no time, just a freeze-frame.
Yet I am moving, extremely slowly. I tripped. He’s going to make fun of me for this. I look down. I’m not going to make it. My knee hits against the rock, the momentum of my gargantuan body throws me off, and I can’t catch my balance. I fall. There are three rocks on the bottom. One small, two large, all three around two feet away from the original. I’m not scared. I’m not going to make it.

I hope he doesn't make fun of me for this.

No comments: